LEGO CUUSOO is a site that originated in Japan but is now in a worldwide public beta phase, where you can share LEGO set concepts you would like the whole world to enjoy and aim for their eventual release as real products.
Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become a LEGO product sold in LEGO Brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop. If your idea is chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product CUUSOO, which means ‘imagination’ or sometimes ‘wish’ in Japanese.
If a project hits the magic 10,000 votes then it moves from the Idea stage to the Review stage. A “LEGO Jury” composed of designers, product managers, and other key team members will examine the idea. They will build concept models and determine if the project meets their high standards for what it takes to be a LEGO product, including playability, safety, and fit with the LEGO brand.
Minecraft Micro World was the first project outside of Japan to chosen and it only took 48 hours to gather votes from 10,000 fans from around the world.
One project that did reach 10,000 but failed the Review Stage was The Winchester – Shaun of The Dead. LEGO posted this statement, “…we have decided that – good though the model is – the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11.”
Although every Star Wars LEGO fan would have loved this Star Wars Darth Bucket featuring 1 Darth Vader and 99 Stormtroopers it was also rejected at the Review Stage due to a license conflict.
The Cuusoo team has posted some tips on Passing the Review Process:
1. A good LEGO model helps, but it’s not required.
2. Your model can actually be too good for CUUSOO.
3. Consider your model size and potential cost.
4. Models should not depend on new LEGO element molds.
5. Go wide. Projects that feature new ideas and new categories have greater potential.
6. Think in terms of individual sets, since play themes are planned well in advance.
7. Keep your concept kid-appropriate.
8. Suggesting a new license introduces factors outside of our control.
We look forward to reviewing some of the ideas as they grow closer to the 10,000 votes!